Chicago Chesed Fund

https://www.chicagochesedfund.org/

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Captions

I'd like to share an idle thought.  I think it would be interesting if there were eyeglasses that would caption everyone we saw in the street with numbers: the dollar amount and the time this individual expends on Mosros (luxuries) and the corresponding numbers for tzdaka and chesed.  Of course, the reality of exposure would change the numbers immediately.  But at least initially, it would be interesting, both to the observer and to the individual himself, because what falls under the heading "mosros" is truly subjective.

4 comments:

  1. That's what the עולם האמת will show us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you implying that luxuries are juxtapose and contrary to cheese and tzedeka? What if one gave 20% of his income to tzedeka and he performed cheesed on a daily basis yet still lived a luxurious life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, that was chesed and tzedeka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, on the contrary. I think that many of us unfortunately begrudge the luxurious lifestyle of those that can manage it, and our attitude might be very different if we knew what they did for the less fortunate in the community. Look, I don't think anyone has a claim on anyone else. If someone chooses to keep what's his, then that's his business. I think it's not in keeping with what it means to be a son of Avraham Avinu, but it's not my money and not my decision. I have too much to fix in my own life to have any energy to spare for criticizing others.

    ReplyDelete