Chicago Chesed Fund

https://www.chicagochesedfund.org/

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

The November 14 Rally in Washington

 This is what I wrote to my shiur.

Our shiur had five representatives - Ron Cope and family, Chaver Mike and family, Ron Abrams and family, Jim Levine and family, and me. Tzvi Berger's son, Nachman, was there too. We did not see each other, and couldn't have expected to. (Two of my grandchildren were there, too, but I did not see them.) Thank God there were so many of us there! A young friend from Cincinnati, Yosef Katzman, espied me and came over, and, speaking as a professional actuary, he tried to explain to me how small the likelihood of that happening was. 

Malkie asked me what I think was the most powerful experience of the day. Some speeches were good, saying Tehillim with Ishay Ribo was very moving, Matisyahu joining the Maccabeats and the crowd singing  along (with movements!) was wonderful, there were many moments each of which would have justified the trip. (I came by bus. Note to self: In the future, fly. Or drive. If you have to, start out early and walk.) But to me, the greatest experience was witnessing and being part of the coming together of so many of our people for one reason; because we are all members of the family of Israel, and our empathy is neither abstract nor superficial. It comes from deep in our hearts. 

We celebrate each other's joy, and we are truly anguished by the suffering of each and every Jew. I loved it not despite our differences. I loved it because of our differences. If everyone there looked the same, it would not have been as powerful an experience. Despite the real differences, that fire, that deep spiritual connection, still burns, and it brought us together from all over. Yesterday did not unite many people. It reunited one people.

An interview with Rav Berel Wein on the Rally.

My personal opinion on the Yeshiva opposition to participation:

Based on a lifetime of close relationships with Gedolei Torah, here are some things I know and some I believe. They are nuanced, which is a synonym for "irrelevant to most people." 

1. Extremism generally wins. Once a powerful Rosh Yeshiva passels something, any other individual who disagrees risks the future of his mossad. He will be labeled 'modern,' and some  supporters and parents of potential talmidim will choose a different yeshiva/mossad. This can only be avoided if a large counter-group of gedolim unanimously say it is a good thing.  And,.......
Unanimity is rare. As Rav Hutner once said upon leaving an endless and contentious meeting of the Moetzes, "The great neis of the Targum Hashivim was that seventy gedolei Yisrael in separate rooms all said the same thing. Today it would be a neis if two gedolei Yisrael in one room could say the same thing."
As a result, one could say that Gresham's law applies to kanna'us among Gedolim.

2. Gedolei Yisrael tend to be ultra-conservative. I do not chas veshalom say this critically. I cannot be critical, because I am not in their position either in gadlus batorah or in responsibility. It is just a fact.

3. Some times, a Gadol will put out a kol korei disapproving of some gathering, but will hope that any reader with an ounce of seichel will respectfully do the opposite. In the case of the letters and pronouncements about this rally, I think that this actually was very clear.

4. Pronouncements that are appropriate on a communal level do not necessarily apply to individuals. What is appropriate for individuals is sometimes inappropriate as policy.

Comments from members of the shiur:

Jim Levine, what we call a real גבר בגוברין:  "Passing three DC Mall officers, I thanked them for being here today.  One of them replied “You are the kindest group I have ever pulled duty for.  I have had more thanks today than in all 25 years of service…”"


 

3 comments:

  1. Once we're on the topic of Rav Hutner and gedolim meetings: one time after a Moetzes meeting Rav Hutner told his gabbai, "remember, you can't relay the details of what was discussed in the meeting to anyone." The talmid asked him, "but Rebbi - I don't understand - nothing of any real consequences was discussed?!" Rav Hutner promptly responded: "exactly!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your position change after Rav Feldman's explanation letter or you knew that were the reasons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They talked about this comments on hayehudi the other day...
    hyehudi.org/re-washington-rally-article/

    ReplyDelete